Basketball Rules - 2017 / 2018
1. The game is comprised of 4 quarters with each quarter lasting for 10 minutes of running time. Each quarter will be broken up into two 5-minute segments.
2. A team must have at least 4 roster players to start a game (a forfeit is declared if there are not).
3. Substitutions can only be made at the start of each 5-minute segment. Players must play the entire 5-minute segment before leaving the game for a substitution. Exceptions are for an injury.
4. The timekeeper (a parent) will signal the referee as close to the 5 minute mark as possible without interfering with the flow of the game. A whistle or a change of possession after a rebound is a good time to stop the clock. A fast break or when the offensive team has control of the ball is not a good time to stop the clock.
5. At the end of each segment, a time out is not in effect. Subs must come in quickly and play resumes right away.
6. There is a 1-minute break after the 1st and 3rd quarters and a 2-minute break at halftime.
7. Each player present must play a specified number of game segments. Segment playing time rules must be followed. The Segment Play Chart will detail how many segments each player will play based on the number of players present at the game. If a coach is found in violation of the Segment Play Chart, the offending coach will be suspended one game. If a second violation occurs during the season, the offending coach will be removed from the league.
8. Segment playing time sheets must be written down and available for inspection by opposing coaches.
9. Players must play in each half.
10. In an overtime game, coaches may place anyone on the court that they wish. However, if the game goes into double overtime, any players on the bench must go into the game.
11. If a player arrives after the start of the second segment in a game, it is only necessary for him to play in 2 segments in the 2nd half. However, he may play more if the coach sees fit to do so.
12. Players who continually miss practice will lose game playing time and risk suspension.
13. Each team will have 2 timeouts per half.
14. Fouls will be kept for foul shooting purposes only. No players will foul out.
15. One and one fouls shots will occur on the 7th team foul in a half. Two foul shots will be awarded after 10 team fouls in a half.
16. Players will move 5 feet closer to the basket from the foul line for foul shots.
17. Teams will play man to man defense for the entire game for the entire season. Zone defenses are not allowed.
18. Teams will not press. Defense will start at half court. However, if the opposing team is unable to move the ball forward, defense will back up to the top of the key (or foul line extended if necessary).